Thursday, April 9, 2009

Notes

Recent notes.
No desire to elucidate further.

----

INDOOR ULTIMATE:

Thank heaven's that's over.

The indoor season is, apparently, not my strong suit. I think I went 1-3 in PADA and 0-7 at Nocturnal Decisions. 1-10? Hell's Bells. Current conjecture:

Wind makes throwers
Not wind makes not-throwers.

----

PICKUP IN NB

Have had some great runs, for pickup.
Introduced a whole new generation to "Losing at Boot".

Tracking "points for and points against" while playing pickup (yup, just basic +/-) provides me with solid motivation if lacking.

----

FOOLS FEST:
Stimulus Package (Mixed: Puppet Regime past, present, future, never was):

6-2 (2-1, 3-0, 1-1, Semis) lots of beer gardening. Lost to Lefty Loosy (NC Folks) in pool play. Beat them in quarters. Lost to eventual champs (Way of the Jackalope) in the semis.
.
----

WORKOUTS:

Have been doing tons of non-running stuff. Which shows, when I have to cover cutters for more than 1 possession.

Time to up the sprintage in workouts.

Loving the medball. Lunges, squats, jumps, throws, etc.
Loving discterity stuff.
Loving pullups.

----

DIET:

Gave up cheese for a while back in... December-Jan. That was a good thing. I will get back to that eventually, but not at the moment. Generally, I was in a good way just before the trip to SW+Hawaii. I derailed when I came back from Hawaii. I'm far too puppy and not enough squirrel when it comes to extra food. Back on it though.

Dusty's Proven Track Record Diet:

1: 1+ Salad per day.
2: Beer not Bread.
3: Vegetable > Fruit > Dried Fruit > Vegetable Juice > Fruit Juice > Candy.
4: Full Fat Greek Yogurt + Bits of Chocolate > Whole Chocolate Bar
5: Meats-n-Nuts-n-Olives-n-Eggs is good for me.

----

SCRIMMAGES:

Have scrimmaged against Delaware and Drexel. This weekend will be UPenn. I'm not sure what it is these teams think they do well. These scrimmages always remind me how large a part experience plays in quality of play. Think of the 1000s more times that a 28 yr old player has done X than an 18 yr old player. Even if they've both been playing for 10 years, the years from 18-28 are more valuable in terms of high-value repetition. More pressure, more precise, more more more.

If an 18 yr old drops a pull and flips out and falls apart mentally, well... that's to be expected.
If a 28 yr old drops a pull, flips out and falls apart mentally, well... that's not to be expected.

One has a deeper issue than the other.

Also played some with the Old Sag guys against Drexel and the UDel alums against UDel. Add this to playing pickup in NB and then to playing with Puppet Regime at Fools to get valuable experience. I definitely don't fill the same roles with those teams as I do with Pike. Each experience teaches me how to play within my style within their frameworks.

That is, each group has its determined way of achieving the same goals. The skills and experience which I bring are generally valuable to ultimate teams. I am rarely valuable to two teams in identical fashion. Or, for that matter, degree. Even if each team were to define me by one characteristic, the descriptions would be contradictory.

I fail on each team.
I succeed on each team.

Usually the former precedes the latter.
Usually the former informs the method by which the latter will occur.

Ultimate: Heuristic not algorithmic.

----

PIKE:

First Delaware, then... THE WORLD.

Pike 2009!

No comments: