Friday, March 13, 2009

3/12 - Yoga

I've never done Yoga and kind of always thought it would be beneficial for me to do. When I screwed up my knee and started rehabbing one of the things I determined I most needed to work on was my flexibility. Of course I spent months talking about how this would be a good idea and all that but I finally put those words into action yesterday.

I'll tell ya, yoga was a perfect mid week, off day, activity. I was certainly fumbling my way through some of the positions but my balance and strength were definitely tested and overall the class felt great. I was really able to stretch out my lower back which always bothers me and I was able to get a lot more extension on general stretches after focusing on my muscles throughout the class.

I'd recommend trying yoga at least once to anyone. I'll be heading back to the class next week and hopefully will keep it up through the season. I can imagine that yoga would really hurt on the Monday after a tournament but would make me feel much, much better.

3 comments:

Smellis said...

I've been doing the Forest Yoga classes once a week at Yoga Child (9th and South). I have enough classes pre-purchased through the end of April. And i'll hope to continue indefinitely (as my schedule and funds allow). Good recommendation for off-day activity!

Amy said...

Yoga's one of the best complements I've found for ultimate and its associated workout regimens. Breathing exercises, patience, calm, etc are especially good for spastic players (hi).

West Philly folks, check out Wake Up Yoga West (4916 Baltimore) or Studio 34 (45th & Baltimore).

or google Yoga Today if you have a decent internet connection and antisocial tendencies.

dusty.rhodes said...

Yoga: Always good.

Maintain balance: Focus: form v movements form to form.

My Favorite Challenge: Slow Breath y Move Quick.