Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Huddle on Endzone O

There are some good articles (and some bad ones too) on how to score goals in end zone offense on http://www.the-huddle.org this week.

Two articles that I particularly liked:
Nick Handler’s: Exploiting Defensive Adjustments
Ben Wiggin’s: Scoring without Breaking the Mark

Two recurrent themes:
1. No matter what you do, be decisive in your cutting.
2. Your positioning before you even start your cut may be the difference between success and failure.

I also liked this quote from Steve Sullivan’s article (though not necessarily his punctuation):
“Really, long points are earned at practice and at the track, well before the specific moment arrives on a Sunday afternoon.”
And this one from Ben Wiggins:
“Offensively, you want to score. That means making most of your plays easy, and making up for your mistakes with talent or practice.”

6 comments:

Amy said...

word.

re: Miranda's article: girl, of course it's your favorite move. It's *everyone's* favorite move.

dusty.rhodes said...

wait, i'm supposed to *move*?

Amy said...

you didn't get the memo?
it was false advertising anyway.

-89 said...

Hehe!
When you're Miranda, it just works.

@dusty.rhodes
You & TC are about the only ones on the team for whom I can stand still in the end-zone and still expect to catch a goal. Everyone else just seems to ignore my stares, my eyebrow raises, my head jerks, my pointing... until I finally give up and make an actual cut. Don't they know that O players are lazy?

gapoole said...

False! I'm always looking for the subtle pointing, especially the eyes averted to the intended side. Especially if I get to throw an io flick...

-89 said...

Sweet! I'm definitely keeping an eye out for that. In fact, I think you threw me at least one of those today at pickup...