Tuesday, February 24, 2009

okay, so...

I didn't do the medball lunges as described in yesterday's post-- my legs didn't want to fire up again like that. These things happen. Did some slower strength based lower body stuff-- focusing on the sore spots and stretching/callenging them without being quite so eccentric (not eccentric like the nutty professor, but eccentric as opposed to concentric). Tomorrow or Thursday instead for those.

I did try something new that occurred to me for changing up my pushups:

The clapping one-hand-landing pushup.

That is, do a clap pushup, but when you land, do your best to land on one hand. I find that I can almost land on one hand, but I need to cushion the very bottom of it with the off hand. Repeat. Alternate hands on the landing. These are pretty sweet. I am going to work until I can land w/ one arm. "Because you gotta have goals..." (My favorite fake cereal is Horkin' Fiber Chunks, btw, if you ever want to give me a fake gift.)

Also did some balance board work. Man, it was a tight 1-2 race between the medball and the balance board for "Training tools I missed while on my trip." Medball (won/=one), but you know... both of them are very important to enabling my body to play the style of ultimate I play. (That said, there is a shit-ton of stuff to work on without any sort of tools/machine/whatever. And the best travel-workout item are the three highest tension therabands. FWIW. BTW, gfy.)

And I'm finally beginning to understand what, exactly, my style is.

Watch out, bitches.

(165)

2 comments:

Smellis said...

I'll bite...
I'm been thinking a bit about my personal training/fitness plan with respect to ultimate and the club season, and one thing i go back and forth about is whether i should be focusing my training upon:
a) my strengths
b) my weaknesses*
c) neither/both

I'll only speak for myself (though i think its true with most players), my strengths lead me to play in the style i want to play.

But to evolve, i'm stuck between further highlighting my strengths (the "go with what ya got" mentality) or reducing my weaknesses.

I doubt there's an absolutely correct answer to any of this, but I'm curious how others approach this.


*throwing is by far one of my weakest areas within the game, but i strongly feel 99% of players should always be working on their throws.

dusty.rhodes said...

For me, I've worked for a the last couple of years to figure out what style my strengths and weaknesses (physical and skill) lead me to play. I've experimented with multiple different ways of playing the game, and I'm starting to understand where I need to go.

So, it is neither about my strengths nor weaknesses as much as it is about putting it all together to form a complete vision of myself as a player. To break that down a bit:

1- Maintenance.
There are some things that I do and rely upon being able to do that require me to train. not to increase the level at which I do them, but to reliably be able to repeat the act/skill/whatever. These are mostly things that I'm already good at, but training enhances my ability to use them on the field. (Ex: Full recovery after 2 points off, being difficult to bump/dislodge, general throwing skills, release points, good footwork/balance, etc).

2- Areas for Improvement.
These are things that I know will help my game, but I don't rely upon them for my style of play. That is, they are a bonus for me, and every incremental increase makes me a better player. (Ex: Specific throws, acceleration, topspeed, jumping, downfield cutting, etc.)

3- Natural at this point.
These are things that I don't and haven't ever had to work on consciously because they came easily to me early in my career either in ultimate or other sports. (Ex: Catching, quick catch->throw transfer, laying out, reading the disc, etc)

To be fair, there is still *always* room for improvement in all areas, including #3, but I've found that there are things that while I can still get better at them (I haven't perfected all trailing edge upside-down-hand and/or monkey-catches) the utility of the things I am still learning in some categories is dubious at best. If that makes sense.

Ellis: Throwing IS the game. All else is just all-purpose sports ability.