Thursday, February 5, 2009

Turtlehead Peak

(1/28/09)

Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area

Turtlehead Peak.

Walked up with force, ran down with speed.

That is, on the way up, my focus was on maintaining balance and stability with at least one foot on the ground at all times but without stopping. Moving constantly, purposefully. Oddly, about 70% of the way up, I scampered up to a rock outcropping instead of going to the very top. I have no explanation other than I went where I wanted to go. I sat, read Camus, drank an Ayinger Celebrator, took some pictures and let my mind woander.

Beautiful.

On the way down, I took portions slowly as necessary. For the most, I worked to keep my pace high and explode off of each footfall. Useful thought: "Shoot your feet wide of your body. Keep your core vertical and slightly tilted back. Rebound."

I ate up distance quickly on the way back. Legs burning, pushing on. Very satisfying.

Exited the NCA via car at reasonable speed.

I don't know what kind of views Actual Trail Running affords, but I'll lay odds that this was much more awesomer.

3hrs=hiking+trunning.
---
(02.04.09)

The second trail run was along the grand canyon from Hermit's Rest to Pima Point. 2.2 miles roundtrip at 7000+ feet counts as my high elevation training for Kaimana. While I definitely wanted to do Tabata runs, I actually had no choice. I really couldn't run at a regular pace for more than ~50-60 seconds. Sprinting for 20 on 10 off was nigh impossible. But I tried.

On the way back, I headed off the paved path and closer to the cliff's edge for some actual trail running. That is, changing directions, unsure footing, crumbly rocks, branches, trees, and the rest of the unknown.

Oh... and the whole time there was this giant ditch on one side...

40min=trailrunning.

4 comments:

Smellis said...

Sounds like fun.
Unfortunately, the views afforded by running in the Wissahickon, Tenafly Nature Center, or any other "local" conservation area are pathetic. But i've always found them inspiring nonetheless. The beauty is in the experience...

On a somewhat related topic, I hate when people verbally trash the outdoor opportunities on the "east coast". Sure the mountains aren't as high, the (manmade) snow not as deep, the trails too short, but last time i checked, i was still completely gassed after a bike race through the streets of NYC, a trail run through our local wilderness of the Wissahickon, or some tabata sets in the office gym.

This is nothing against you Dusty, as I think you'd agree but its just a bone i have to pick anytime someone mentions how doing "x" activity in "y" west-coast location is inherently superior. Or maybe i just want to move back to Salt Lake City...

dusty.rhodes said...

Yeah-- I hear ya.

The thing for me that determines whether a trail run is worth it is how much non-linear running there is, and if I feel something past the mundane when I get to the top. And yes, there must be a top/end with a view. This is what gives me the sense of the beauty. Otherwise, I could just go do... tabata sets of banded running in the basement.

The view could be of anything, but there must be a (contrary to the title of the blog) destination for me to want to *run* somewhere.

Truly, the elevation was dizzying in many senses.

What I dislike (this is now turning into dusty's non-post workout soapbox) about running so much is that there is so little variation. This is the advantage of trail running. In fact, the less trail, the better (given that there are not giant unseen holes) as the challenge of constantly altering stride and pace is glorious.

Back to the commentary on location. There are plentiful beautiful spots on the east (if you want a hidden magnificent view, head up to Chazy Lake in almost Canadian NYState-- that is a trail that does not let you run it. Too steep and too long, but a real treat) if you want to search for them. If you want to explore for them. If I get back into trail running, I'll be loathe to do the same trail twice. The novelty provides the challenge.

Out for now, from Anna Miller's in Pearl City. 3:38am breakfast on the West West Coast... and I finally got my droptop mustang that I ordered for Nationals in 07.

-89 said...

More beautiful spots in the North East...

A bit closer than the Adirondacks (no shortage of beauty there) are the Shawangunks near New Paltz or the Catskills a little further up the NYS Thruway. I spent my high school days trail running there. The Mohonk Mountain Perserve is amazing, and if you sneak onto the Mountain House property (or pay $10 for a day pass), it gets truly breathtaking. Lake Minawaska is just down the road and truly a sight to behold as well. And my personal favorite is Kaaterskill Falls in the Catskills. The main trails are all beautify, but if you're daring and creative there are some hidden gems in these areas that are more than worth the effort.

Just about 1 hour north of the NYC is Breakneck Ridge, a nice little gem just above Rte. 9 overlooking the Hudson. That's a great running spot (despite the name) hidden in plain view (it's literally on the side of a major road).

Don't just take my word for it. The Hudson River and views thereof inspired an entire school of painters.

There's also a lot of beauty to be found in the Poconos, though I'm not at all familiar with that region. In my opinion, there's pleny of beauty around here. It's just not as 'in your face' or well-marketed. That doesn't make it better, just different. Either way, it constantly amazes me how the perfect setting alone can turn everyday activities into something spiritual.

-89 said...

One more thought that Dusty's post inspired:

My favorite thing to do while hiking/trail running is to stand at a low vantage point, pick a spot up high that looks beautiful and challenging to reach, and then just go for it, trails or no trails. Getting there is the reward - there's always this great feeling that I'm experiencing something that few others have experienced.

From there you have an even better view to scout for the next amazing vantage point. Off you go!