Thursday, January 15, 2009

Inefficient movements and proper rest

[Edited for brevity]... Below is another person's experience with crossfit. As an aside, i'm a fan of crossfit workouts.
With his first rationales, I thought this guy did a good job of describing one of the three ways of how I feel an athlete is physically defeated by him/herself. That is the lack of efficiency, especially when tired. FYI, the other two being lack of strength/explosiveness and lack of endurance.
Just something to think about as everyone is indoors for their off-season, fine-tuning their neuro-muscle recruitment and form (which should also include your running form). Moral of the story being, especially now in the off-season, focus on quality/execution over quantity, and make sure you rest your body when it is deserving of rest.

[again, this is not me]...
I do have a two part theory. First, my movement quality was much higher than anyone else in the session. When I had a chance to sneak a glimpse at someone else in the workout I inevitably saw major breakdowns in execution, especially during the full cleans in the later rounds. Besides that fact that these breakdowns are scary from an injury potential standpoint, they also represent major "energy leaks".

These energy leaks from inefficient movement meant that they had to expend more energy that I did to accomplish each rep. This meant that even though my raw work capacity was probably lower I was able to make better use of it. If you have a large work capacity but are applying it to a lot of inefficient movement then you waste so much energy that you can get beat by a "less fit", more efficient athlete.

The second thing that I think was happening was that I was just fresher than they were. I was pretty wiped out after that workout and I can not imagine training like that 4-6 days per week as is recommended by the CrossFit program. I think that after a while of pounding on your body and not allowing for full recovery you eventually reach a continual state of low grade overtraining.

Again, if you can not effectively utilize your fitness because of this low grade overtrained state (also called overreaching in some circles) you find yourself in then you can get beat by a fresher athlete, even if he is "less fit"...

5 comments:

dusty.rhodes said...

goddamnit, tim.
I thought we discussed letting ellis write for this outfit. We're supposed to have strict quality controls in place to enforce/enhance our minimalist style. And instead, we get this.

Is this post a lengthy rebuttal to the comment I made about doing mahlers without worrying about form? Damn. Didn't I just whup ass on the deck of cards challenge?
----
These are different things. Sport-specific movements demand great care and practice. General Physical preparedness, less so. I work with the medicine ball to achieve a mirrored (st)ability on both sides of my body. And then work on the (st)ability to cut/jump/land in each direction off of each foot.

pushups? i just do different kinds as often as possible. i try to do something that i can't remember having done. if that makes sense. there are a lot of different kinds of pushups out there.
mahlers? as fast as i can.
squats? as low and as balanced as i can.
burpees? with a full pushup and a jump everytime. in contact with the ground as little as possible.

Anyway, to your specific case... You're just a goddamned athlete. When you switch off the governor in your head that feeds you lies to the contrary, it will make more sense. You'll start throwing more goals.

(wordy enough?)

Amy said...

MOAR WORDY

Tim said...

At the very least rather than just copying and pasting it sure would be nice if you fixed the line breaks.

There's a reason that both J and I, when I do them, don't do full Crossfit workouts. We realized they would utterly obliterate us and frankly we're not trying to become Army Rangers. Crossfit is a phenomenal resource in my opinion but not what we as Ultimate players are striving for.

-89 said...

When I do a workout "for time" I only go as fast as I can while still maintaining proper form. And the first time I do a new workout, I always aim low on the weights to make sure I can get the form down properly. In fact, prior to starting the full workout, I'll often perform an exercise with minimal to no weight until I am comfortable with the motion.

And to reiterate what Dusty wrote: variety is the key. Honestly, I pick the workouts I pick because they sound like fun and they sound like they'll target things that need targeting. I tailor them to my personal needs and I get out of them what I can. In the end, I'm doing this because I enjoy it. Rehashing the same boring gym routine wouldn't be stimulating enough to keep me at it.

Smellis said...

Dusty, I agree that general workout movements require less (but not little) attention to detail than sport-specific movements.

Tim/Dusty, I promise to be less verbose in any subsequent posts. Possibly a <50 word count.

J, i hope others will choose to follow your no/low-weight practice/perfection reps technique

Amy, probably old news, but this blog rules:
infranetlab.org/blog/