Sunday, January 4, 2009

New Years Ultimate

Saturday was PADA's annual Toilet Bowl tournament at Edgely. I decided to brave the cold and head out for a day of ultimate. For years I've had issues staying motivated to play as hard as possible at Hat Tournaments or Pick Up mostly because the level of play is fairly low. I find that the challenge of staying legitimately motivated during these events is a very useful one as in a way it provides a similar experience to playing games against "lesser" competition at tournaments. We have stressed numerous times that every game be taken both with respect for the other team and for ourselves by playing every game, even those against "lesser" opponents, with the same precision and dedication that we take to the field in the game against Nationals level opponents.

Needless to stay, this somewhat lofty goal was difficult to achieve yesterday. We had limited subs and it was pretty crappy weather. So by the middle of the second game I was pretty much going through the motions and just enjoying trying to make good throws and testing myself in that regard. The ground was also frozen so it was playing on uneven hard ground which was not the most fun either. But it was a good run overall. I look forward to pushing myself to take every opportunity in the future to continue to push myself at all Ultimate events to treat them with the respect they deserve and working on the mental aspect of taking every time I step on to an Ultimate field seriously.

Looking forward to getting inside to play winter league tonight though which will undoubtedly be a blast.

Total workout: 4 hours of ultimate

No comments: