Monday, May 18, 2009

Bell Crack

I got in touch with my college teammate who captains Slow White a month or so before Bell Crack when he told me they were coming down to play at the tournament and I asked if I could play if they needed numbers. Turned out they were a little low and having a tryout weekend anyway so they invited me to join in. We went undefeated on Saturday without really being pushed until our last cross over game which wasn't even that close.

Sunday we had to move fields because of the weather. It was quite windy and pretty sloppy which changed the dynamics of the games along with the fields being shorter and narrower because of the alternative field site. We started out by beating a Canadian team who we traded with early but eventually proved we were the only team who could consistently score going up wind. Our second game was against Hooray. I expected this game to be a lot more of a challenge than it was. What ended up happening was mostly as a result of Miller's pulls and also one or two of mine we were pinning them very deep in their endzone off the pull. The result was that we started to go on more and more runs and ended up winning pretty handily. We then played Amp in the finals. We got down early by 4-1 or so and never really were able to recover. We were never really able to get enough of a roll together to really close the gap and ended up losing 13-5.

A couple of take aways from playing with an elite co-ed team for the weekend. I don't like the break you end up getting playing co-ed with having a roster of 12-14 guys and only 4 spots. I really don't like it. I want to play more. Going from open to co-ed makes it seem like I'm playing at a different speed than some of the other guys on the field. I had a couple of plays, usually around floaty hospital discs around women where I felt comfortable going up and around the women, not touching them, but taking the disc away...and this was a big deal somehow. If the disc is in the air, you gotta go get it. But apparently that doesn't always happen in co-ed. And lastly, I can see the allure of co-ed at some point in my life but its only going to be at a point where I can't contribute to an open team anymore. Its just not for me at this point in my career.

2 comments:

wix said...

Tim, you're forgetting that guys in coed have zero body control.* And there are quite a few open players who mysteriously abandon their regard for safety when they step on the field with women.

Acknowledging that the open game is very physical, there are certain kinds of play that are questionable in open but are outright dirty in coed. Laying out into someone's chest might get you punched in open (and women's, for that matter), but in coed you'll just crush the poor girl. For some people that equals no consequences.

I've been landed on enough times to steer clear of coed for the next few years...

But props to you for not squishing anyone, male or female.



*Rare exceptions include Eug, Furf, and others too light to land with force. Also, Eug employs an early warning system: he shrieks before he hits you so you know to get out of the way.

b-lo average body control in any division said...

i'm not particularly asian when it comes to math, but i don't think the ratio of 4 spots for 12-14 guys is much different from 7 spots for 25-28 guys. maybe if you had listened to the hecklers a little more, then you would have seen more playing time.