Friday, May 22, 2009

building base, just a little differently

Temple track:
Pros: doesn't close at 6 and is closer to my house
Cons: tons of people

Thorough warmup.
6x 200m. Rest consisted of walking diagonally across the field (another plus over the Penn Track) which was usually about 1'15". My 200s were around 29s. I mainly focused on strong starts and trying to hit my highest gear right as a i came out of the turn. One, its a little harder to hit top speed on a curve (esp. in lane 1). Two, i was trying to focus on going from fast (for me) to fastest (for me).
8 x 100m. Each rep started with me in a stationary "fast feet" position for 3 secs, with my hips at a 45 degree interval (imagine a clock, start at 45, then 90, then 135, ..., last one at 0). Worked on acceleration. Rest was walk back to the line.
6x~30m accelerations. Rest was jog back to the line.

Finished with one set of Squat-Thrust-Jumps (x20 squats, x20 squat-thrusts, x20 squat-thrust-2leggedjump). Time = 1'50"

Last week, as i was warming up, some track coach asked me what i did to work out my quads. I told him ultimate. He laughed. We quickly agreed to disagree and I walked away. This week, during my 200s, coming out of the aforementioned turn, i kept hearing him say.. "go frisbee", everytime. After my 200s, i talked to him and he kept trying to convince me to throw shot put!

No comments: