Monday, May 4, 2009

Pike Pick Up - Beer Run

Saturday marked the opening of the Pike tryout season. We're having a few pick up sessions prior to our weekend of tryouts with the hope of getting 08 Pikes out to re-acquaint themselves with each other and to bring the potential future Pikes out to get a feeling for the styles of play and prepare themselves for the tryout weekend. We had a good turnout of about 20 guys with 10-12 returners from last years team. Intensity on D was lacking but our offense looked mostly sharp. I may have a slanted opinion as I believe my teams went 4-0 overall in our three scrimmages. I still find the need to remind myself from point to point about positioning and the "feel" of being in the right places, making the right cuts, bids, etc. This is the intuitive part of the game that I've been lacking having missed almost all of last year. Overall I was pleased with the turnout and look forward to next weekend in New Brunswick.

After the scrimmage I drove down to DC to go on a beer run all throughout the city. We started at around 6:15 and ended up hitting 9 bars over the course of 8.25 miles. We kept a little less that a 10 minute mile pace (yes someone was crazy enough to time us) and overall got one heck of a painful workout in. By the end of the run I didn't really notice, it was the next morning when I tried to get out of bed and my legs were pretty pissed at me that I was really feeling the 8+ miles. I can tell you this...I hate running. A Lot. Even when there's beer involved. And I can almost guarantee you that you'll never find me running 8 consecutive miles ever. All of our stops broke the runs up into 1.5 miles on the high end and .5 miles on the low end. Its a weird experience to watch sporting events at bars like this as it was a good day for sports with the Kentucky Derby, the Bulls-Celts game, and the Phillies-Mets.

All in all I'm not positive if/how this really counts as a workout and how much the beer/liquor counteracted the running. All in all it was a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to not running 8 miles again any time soon.

(210)

No comments: